Monday 8 November 2010

The oldest groover in town lays down some more bangin’ beats!

I’m not going to apologise for posting yet more of my music – as I’ve said before, it guarantees that I’ll finish the tracks to a reasonable standard: my erstwhile guitar teacher, Leo Coulter, was always very disapproving of my sloppy recording techniques - and I want to prove I paid heed!

The first is North Coast, a slow surf number, starting with Garageband’s impressive seagulls and lapping surf samples. As will become obvious, I’ve recently been obsessed by guitar tremolo effects. I also love the thin, ethereal organ sound. The track reminds me of  Cornwall on a chilly, overcast day – hence the title.


“South Coast” was an excuse to try out some of the superb drum and bass sounds on the Rhythm Section Jam Pack – especially the terrific sloppy, “dead” 1970s snare drum I associate with The Band and Fairport Convention (and practically everyone else who followed). The synth sound is “Bondi Breath”. I also enjoyed the MIDI Dobro and the shimmering Telecaster chords throughout.


The final item is “West Coast”, so named because the chord sequence sounds like it’s been pinched from Jackson Brown’s reject pile. As far as I can tell, it’s in E Flat Minor. The guitars are a mixture of “Real” and MIDI. The middle section, featuring brass, isn’t right, but I don’t know what to put in there.


5 comments:

  1. They are all good Scotty and the thing that emerges is that you had fun doing them. One techy point. On North Coast, try an alternative mix with the rhythm guitar without tremolo. It will bring out the shimmering of the lead more if the two are not competing. It made me want to play along, which for me is a big compliment!
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 - 12:53 AM

    ReplyDelete
  2. And on West Coast, the answer to your middle eight brass problem is perhaps a key change, which is easier on Garage Band than in real life. Whack it up a semi-tone, then bring it back down to the original key and see how the track lifts.

    I know. I should get out more.
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 - 01:22 AM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, EX-KCS – I’m very heartened by your comments – and I will certainly try taking the tremolo off the rhythm guitar on North Coast and whacking up the middle eight on West Coast by a semi-tone – I’ve only ever altered individual instrument tracks by an octave up or down up till now. (I also think I need another instrument in there – but I ran out of steam, having doodled with the song for over a week and not getting anywhere fast).

    By the way, have you started recording again?

    I suspect we both need to get out more – and get to bed earlier!
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 - 01:05 PM

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been doing a bit of recording but I travel abroad a lot and as you will know, you need at least two hours free to get anything done. I have about four songs on the go at the moment and if they amount to anything I'll let you know. What I really need, like Ben Folds, is for Nick Hornby to write me 10 sets of inspirational lyrics!

    Keep at it. I really enjoyed these three.
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 - 08:48 PM

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've tried writing lyrics but, perhaps surprisingly for a former novelist, I can't get the hang of it at all! Feel free to provide a link to your music, if it's available online - I'd be genuinely interested to hear it. I find I need about five hours to come up with anything, but I'm getting quicker - slowly.
    Saturday, November 13, 2010 - 12:05 AM

    ReplyDelete