Friday 6 August 2010

How digital magic made this aging music fan a happy bunny

Despite working in new media (I’m not sure what it’s called nowadays – it’s getting a bit long in the tooth to be called “new” anything) for 13 years, there are still some digital applications that strike me as nothing short of magic. 

Okay, I’ve long since got over email and the web and mobile phones and digital video recorders – I enjoy them all enormously, and they’ve made a big and largely beneficial difference to my life – but they’re now too much part of the warp and weft of my existence to deliver the visceral thrill they once did. As for slightly more recent innovations – social networks and smart-phones and iPads - well, I’m just too old to care that much.

But what I do care about – and what I still regard as so close to magic that it wouldn’t be out of place at Hogwarts - is the hardware and software that allows me to waste oodles of time making and recording music in the privacy of my home.

Now, if you’re easily embarrassed, exit right now. If you’re made of sterner stuff – or are simply in an indulgent mood – please listen to "Thanks, Al!"


Welcome back. Yes, it isn’t really a song, and there isn’t much of a tune, and there’s only one chord, but it’s more an exercise in layering on mainly percussive sounds that are vaguely authentic – i.e. they might well have been created live by (admittedly below-par) session musicians in an American studio anytime between 1965 and 1985 (which allows the synthesizer to sneak in near the end). The title, “Thanks, Al”, represents a nod towards the great soul singer and song-writer, Al Green – the drum and bass parts are very simplified versions of those on his 1974 masterpiece, “Take Me to the River”. 

This “project” (as the lingo has it) was created using one electric guitar (without an amplifier), a standard iMac computer, and Apple’s Garage Band software, which comes free with MacBooks and desktops. It didn’t even involve a Midi Controller – i.e. an organ-style keyboard which you plug into the computer to access all the various “software instruments” on offer – from grand pianos to wacky synthesizers to horn sections to bass guitars to lush strings and even church bells. You can “play” these “instruments” using the standard Mac keyboard. (There are also hundreds of pre-recorded “loops” available for those without any musical ability whatsoever, but I reckon that’s cheating.) 

As for the electric guitar, you just plug that into the back of the iMac, and then get to choose from about twenty pre-set “tones” (e.g. Memphis Clean. Stadium Solo, Heavy Metal etc.), or you can create your very own guitar sound using a host of different simulated amplifiers and infinitely adjustable effects “pedals” (i.e. Delay, Sustain, Overdrive, etc.) The song you may or may not have just listened to was made up of fifteen separate tracks each creating a different type of sound.  

I first got into all this stuff five years ago, when I bought the Cubase software programme, an Edirol midi controller, a Behringer pre-amp and a Sennheiser condenser microphone (the last two were necessary to record real non-amplified instruments, such as an acoustic guitar and the human voice), and I had to buy a better sound-card to process the digital racket that ensued. Unfortunately, like a kid in a sweet shop, I overdid it, and ended up spending half my time making noise when I should have been working. Part of the problem was the ability to download endless (legally) free virtual instruments and effects pedals from the internet. After nine months, facing penury, I packed everything away, and was a good boy for nearly five years. 

Then I bought a Mac last year and couldn’t help having a bit of a play with Garage Band, and finally succumbed to temptation a few weeks ago. This time I want to concentrate on doing the most I can with what I’ve already got – although I may have to succumb and buy what’s mysteriously known simply as an “interface” in order to record my wonderful Taylor acoustic (quite possibly my favourite possession). I’d also love to find a way of creating a genuine rock and roll saxophone sound – without having to buy one and learning to play it. I also wouldn’t mind …. but no, that way lies madness. 

My current ambition is a simple one: to come as close as possible to recreating the primitive sound of the music I love from the 1950s and 1960s. Here’s a go at a simple rock and roll instrumental, "On the Prowl".


I have no illusions about my minuscule musical talent, or about the quality of what I’m capable of producing – but it’s hard to think of any respectable or harmless activity which is quite as joyously absorbing as this one.

My thanks to all the developers whose dedication and genius made it possible for this aging music fan to enjoy himself so extravagantly without harming the planet, other people, or himself.

Told you it was magic.

It’s just a pity that while the digital age has made it easier for complete amateurs like myself to sound at least moderately competent, it also seems to have destroyed the ability of professionals to make any music even remotely worth listening to. Swings and roundabouts.

5 comments:

  1. Pretty good, Gronners. If you want to go to the next phase I would suggest Logic Pro9 for Mac with a MOTU interface. The jump in quality is worth the investment.
    Monday, August 9, 2010 - 06:10 AM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, X-KCS, for your recommendations. You sound like a fairly serious muso! I don't think my talent will stretch to Logic Pro9 just yet, and I'm too mean to spend that much dosh on a mere hobby. I'll certainly think about it when I get better. First, I'm eyeing up an Apogee One interface, which is tiny, relatively cheap, and has an inbuilt condenser microphone (yet more magic), and, although I'm currently happy using the standard Mac keyboard as a controller, I may go for a no-frills 49-key controller- I used to have a 32-key Edirol and miss it. I've also been eyeing the Garageband jampacks - particularly the rhythm one, which seems to contain most of what I'm currently missing.
    Sunday, August 15, 2010 - 01:02 PM

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right about the GB jam packs. The drum loops are high quality, easy to link up into a rhythm track and to sync other instruments to.

    Whatever kit you invest in, your central point is right. I had a two track tape recorder and a clunker of an electric guitar at school and made music out of it. My music is now no better than it was when I was 17 as it has hit that talent glass ceiling. It just sounds a lot more professional. But for the talented, there is no reason why they should not be churning out amazing quality bedroom-produced Sgt Peppers on their infinity track Pro-tools.

    Why aren't they? Lack of that spark that comes from practising together for that one killer take that justifies an hour of expensive studio time?
    Sunday, August 15, 2010 - 08:41 PM

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree: the lack of spontaneity, of spark, is what's sad about any modern stuff I hear (i.e. from about 1980 onwards, to be honest). When people go on about "superb production values" I always think of the studio that invented modern music - i.e. Sun. Get a bunch of drink and drug-crazed young rednecks soaked in country and blues and gospel together, crank up the echo effect to 11, give them even more of what they fancy and let the tape machine roll, do twenty takes and stop when you hear something you like. Result? Genius! Keith Richards got that brilliant acoustic guitar sound on Street Fighting man using a crappy early cassette recorder. Sergeant Pepper was recorded using four tracks in total - sometimes it seems that the most exciting music comes from overcoming technical limitations rather than having all the gizmos you want at your disposal - as you say, great for you and me, but abundance seems to have stymied real, ground-braking talents from emerging - they must be out there, surely!
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 - 02:46 PM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry - that should be "ground-breaking"!
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 - 02:48 PM

    ReplyDelete