Monday 7 November 2016

The Grønmark Blog's definitive list of Great British Movies - 112 of the beauties!

Back in early 2013 I posted two lists of my favourite 50 all-time British films (here and here), as a personal response to Barry Norman's list of his greatest 50 British films of all time, which had just been published in the Radio Times. There was nothing much wrong with Norman's choices, but, inevitably,  I was disappointed that he'd left out some of my favourites. As I've been messing around on Pinterest a lot (too much) recently, I decided to turn my two lists into one poster-tastic board of the best-ever British films, which you can find (I hope) here. I've included everything from my original lists, but, hunting around for suitable film posters to "pin", I realised I'd missed out some deserving movies, and, as I haven't set a numerical limit in the board title (the rather ugly-sounding "Posters for Greatest British Movies") I tacked them onto the end (or onto the front, because that's how Pinterest works - last in, top of the board). Here they are:

The Queen (2006), starring Helen Mirren. Just for the central performance.

Harry Brown (2009), starring Michael Caine. I was a bit worried it might just have bowled me over because of its seemingly right-wing, pro-vigilante leanings. But it has lasted in the memory, and I'm not sure Michael Caine has ever been better.

The Last King of Scotland (2006), starring Forest Whitaker and James McAvoy. Again, it's the power of the central performance (Whitaker's I mean) which makes this a keeper.

Lawrence of Arabia (1962), starring Peter O'Toole and Omar Sharif, directed by David Lean. I imagine I only left this out because (for some odd reason) I'd always considered it an American film - no idea why, because it's on all the lists of great British films. So it's now on mine.

Saturday Night and Sunday Morning (1960), directed by Karel Reisz, and starring Albert Finney. I really have no idea why this didn't make it onto either of my charts.

The Ipcress File (1965), directed by Sidney J. Furie, starring Michael Caine. Watched it properly for the first time last year. Worth it for a wonderful Nigel Green performance  and John Barry's score.

An American Werewolf in London (1981), directed by John Landis. I considered this an American film - but, again, it makes it onto many other best British movie lists.

The Ghost Goes West (1935) - Robert Donat at his most charming and debonair.

49th Parallel (aka The Invaders) is a 1941 British  war movie directed by Michael Powell, and written by Emeric Pressburger, with a fab cast. No excuses! It should have been on the list.

Scott of the Antarctic (1948) - ditto this masterpiece.

If I've made any obvious howlers, please let me know.

One thing this exercise taught me about Pinterest is never again to include over a hundred images in a board - and then set about providing an individual description for each one (because, otherwise, nobody else can find them). Took me bloody hours! But an oddly satisfying exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment