Sunday 26 November 2017

The art that captures 'my' London - part 2

Carlyle Hotel, Bayswater, London, Doreen Fletcher (b.1952)
I posted "The art that captures 'my' London" in January. Since then, I've been regularly coming across...

...other works of art which give me a similar frisson of familiarity - that sense of London - to those I originally selected (apart from Spring on Wimbledon Common and Wimbledon Tennis Party, obviously). I've provided titles and dates where I can:
London Buses, W. Heath Robinson
Wimbledon Park Tube, Lisa Graa Jensen
Chaos on London Bridge, Harold Workman (1897–1975
Strand-on-the-Green, London, Josiah Sturgeon (1919–1999)
Camberwell Nocturne, London, David Hepher (b.1935)
London Snow, 1932, Gwen Raverat 
The Common Market, William Patrick Roberts (1895–1980)
A London Street Scene, Mary Rennell (1901–1981)
The Seven Deadly Sins – Pride (1979–1980), Carel Weight
London (Great Western Railway poster artwork), Charles Pears (1873–1958)
Paddington Station, London, Margaret Neve (b.1929)
Bath Road, Chiswick, 1897,  Camille Pissarro 
Waterloo Station, 1967, Terence Cuneo (detail)
Richmond Park, London, Yvonne Fletcher (b. 1941)
London Bridge, Kathleen Allen (1906–1983)
The River Thames at Hammersmith, 1932, Eric Ravilious 
London Zoo, Elephant Walk, Charles Ernest Cundall (1890–1971)
Lincoln's Inn Fields, Paul Rafferty

Home through the Rain - Ladybird book illustration, John Barry 
Sunday Morning Farringdon Road, Cecil Osborne
Spring on Wimbledon Common, London, Philip Connard (1875–1958)
Chiswick Park in Frost, Victor Passmore
Soho Twilight, c.1924 by C.R.W. Nevinson
Wimbledon Tennis Party, Edward Brewtnall (1846-1902)

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful and mostly familiar.'A London Street Scene' is probably in Kennington;Mary Rennell painting what she saw from her studio window.
    'Spring On Wimbledon Common' is most likely one of the meres know as Bluegate-an abundance of silver birch trees shielding the residents of Parkside across the road from the Watteau-esque frolics. What a carry on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks a bit fancy for Kennington - but I've only ever been there to visit the Oval. I've always loved those glass canopies over the front steps - elegant yet homely.

      Delete
    2. Try Holland Park which runs from Holland Park Avenue and along the north side of the park and into Abbotsbury Road.

      Delete
    3. I have no desire to move any further into London - but if I had a spare £5m-£10m squirrelled away, I might be tempted by a mansion in Holland Park, especially now that there'd be no danger of bumping into the 2nd Viscount Stansgate, who owned a vast mansion on Holland Park Avenue. Especially a street with lots of those canopies and tons of blossom trees.

      Delete
  2. Such a wave of nostalgia for me; it is the London I love. Yet on the occasions when I visit London nowadays I feel I don't belong any more; the buildings are so familiar yet the people are different. Sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Helen. For what it is worth, I am in total agreement with you.

    A most enjoyable post. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Helen. That's the elephant in the room.
    If I recall, Mr. G. used to amuse himself at Cambridge sketching friends and famous people-any news of that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Scott, can you show us a collection?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've still got them - they're in a folder under the eaves, waiting for a biographer to find them. At best, they have a certain cartoonish vigour. As with any vaguely creative activity I've ever undertaken, I got into a rut after a couple of years. I remember looking for a drawing class I could join in Cambridge, but drew a blank and squirrelled my paltry efforts away for posterity.

      Delete
  6. SDG,I stand corrected.As she had a studio in Kennington I added 2+2 and came up with 5.
    Well spotted.

    ReplyDelete