Monday 7 May 2012

BBC Radio's "Vivat Rex" is a towering creative achievement - and a hell of a history lesson!

I really hadn’t intended spending this Bank Holiday listening to five hours of radio drama, but I caught the end of the sixth instalment of Vivat Rex on BBC Radio 4 Extra this morning while doing the ironing – and was hooked. After lunch, I found the first five episodes on BBC iPlayer and spent the whole afternoon in a sort of enthralled daze.

Vivat Rex’s 26 hour-long episodes were first broadcast to mark the Queen’s Silver Jubilee in 1977. Not being much of a radio listener back then, I missed the whole series. Now, 35 years later, they’re being rebroadcast to mark the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee. Producer-Director Martin Jenkins and co-director Gerry Jones tell the story of eleven English monarchs through the work of Elizabethan playwrights. One episode might combine, say, chunks of Shakespeare and Marlowe.

What we get are battles and murder and treason and infighting and rebellion and whatnot - i.e all the really interesting stuff. Actors include Derek Jacobi, John Hurt and Michael Redgrave, with Richard Burton narrating (i.e. voicing the links). The effect is mesmerising, almost overwhelming – I literally couldn’t stop listening.

Radio 4 Extra is one of the finest services ever produced by the BBC. Listening to the station (usually when I’m doing the ironing) has helped me appreciate that radio is an almost perfect medium for classic drama: there’s nothing to distract one’s attention. The director can’t dress everyone up in Nazi uniforms or force the actors to get their kit off for no reason.

In his fascinating 1999 book, The User Illusion, Tor Nørretranders sought to quantify the amount of information our brains can  take in at any one moment - I seem to remember we’re limited to 35Kb or so, but don’t quote me on it. While watching TV or movies or an opera or stage play, the sheer amount of visual data on offer means we have to  ignore quite a bit of what’s being thrown at us: but with radio, our receiving apparatus and the amount of information we’re being fed pretty much match perfectly. Perhaps that’s why good radio drama is so peculiarly satisfying – our consciousness isn’t being over-stretched, but neither do our minds wander because we have unused cognitive capacity.

It probably works well for me in any case because I’m not a particularly visual person: when I catch up with TV programmes online – even films – as often as not I’ll listen rather that watch what’s happening on the screen. I rarely feel I’ve missed much.

Back to Vivat Rex. Today’s five hours started with Christopher Marlowe’s Edward II, segued into Edward III (which may have been by Shakespeare and Thomas Kyd), then into Richard II, which is definitely by Shakespeare. Derek Jacobi (creepy, weak Richard II) and John Hurt (creepy, weak and roaringly gay Edward II) are both brilliant, and Michael Redgrave – who was himself a sick old man at the time – delivering “This scept’red isle” as the dying John of Gaunt is extraordinarily moving.

The first six episodes are currently available here – but hurry: they’re starting to disappear. The whole 26 episodes are being broadcast on Radio 4 Extra over the coming months. What a brilliant concept, and what a stupendous creative achievement! (Bloody good history lesson into the bargain.)

4 comments:

  1. Steam Radio Enthusiast9 May 2012 at 16:49

    I caught the Vivat Rex programme on Radio 4 Extra. I'm surprised all your shirts don't have iron-shaped burns in them. I started to listen to the repeat at about 4am and abandoned any attempt to get back to sleep. I admire your ability to defy male stereotyping and do two things at once. It's more than I could do. I found it absolutely riveting. I joined in about half way through Richard the Second and was transfixed. I wonder what the reaction would be if a Radio 4 commissioning editor came up with the same concept these days. It's not exactly in tune with the inclusive, diversity aware, mass appeal, socially progressive agenda, is it. It's enough to make me forgive Radio 7/4X for the Alan Aykbourn trilogies, the astonishingly unfunny 50's comedy classics with Jimmy Edwards and Ted Ray and the repeats of contemporary programmes I tried to avoid the first time round on R4.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tony Scheinman30 May 2012 at 19:29

      It's a shame you missed Edward II and III; they were both equally rivetting. The only comparison I can find with VIVAT REX is the BBC's complete broadcasting of the Shakespeare Canon on television from the seventies to the eighties, and I have to say that the televised plays suffer greatly when compared with what the BBC did (and can still do!) with the audio medium. I have always felt that the BBC have created, still create and will continue to create the finest audio drama in the world, and a project of the magnitude and quality of VIVAT REX only reinforces my opinion!

      Delete
  2. David Reynolds17 May 2012 at 00:38

    Hmm. Not very happy. I missed the first five episodes. As a blind person, radio is my medium of choice, and I remember listening to the whole of this back in '77. I wonder why they didn't issue it as a mega box of CDs? As to TV, it will finally anihilate imagination totally. Don't get me started!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tony Scheinman30 May 2012 at 19:21

      I have been downloading each episode faithfully through the BBC iPlayer and recording them on my computer, so if you want copies of each episode, please let me know at Tony.Scheinman@Yahoo.com. I was also browsing through Amazon.co.uk and found a listing for VIVAT REX with the notation "Currently unavailable", which leads me to believe that the BBC MAY ber thinking of releasing the entire serial on either CD or MP3 download or both n the near future. Keep your lills to the ground.

      Delete