Saturday 24 August 2013

The Fulminators pay tribute to The Marauders' "That's What I Want" - an obscure UK pop classic from 1963


I'm not sure why I own the single, "That's What I Want". I'm pretty sure I didn't buy it - funds used to be fairly limited for 10-year olds back then - so I assume it belonged to my brother. Whatever, I've always loved it. It sounds (to my ears, at least) like a classic Beatley, minor key, vaguely folky item, and I've always enjoyed uptempo minor key numbers. 


Though the band sound like classic Merseybeaters, they actually hailed from Stoke. According to one website, the strummed lead guitar on the session was played by Jimmy Page, but I've no idea if that's true or not. Released in August 1963, the single raced up the UK charts to No. 43. Pity - should have reached the Top Ten, but I guess The Marauders were simply swamped by the nouvelle vague of emerging British bands that year (The Swinging BlueJeans, the Searchers, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Billy J. Kramer and the Dakotas, Gerry and the Pacemakers, Brian Poole & The Tremeloes, Freddie & The Dreamers etc).

YouTube has been nagging those of us with "channels" to provide a short trailer for new visitors. On the "waste not want not" principle, here's the one I came up with:


I really do need to get out more.

No comments:

Post a Comment