Thursday 9 August 2012

Britain's most lovable Olympic gold medalist - terrific boxer Nicola Adams



No, I wasn't expecting that accent, either. I had watched the semi-final she'd won just prior to this interview, and having previously scoffed at the indecorousness of two women trying to smash each other's faces in, had been astonished at the sheer quality of the fighting - without close-ups, I'm not sure I'd have been able to tell that they weren't men. But the accent really floored me - I couldn't help being reminded of Paul Whitehouse's "Brilliant!" character from The Fast Show:



I'n't boxing brilliant? You get to punch people, the crowd supports you and then they give you medals and stuff. Brilliant!

So smitten was I by Nicola Adams's wonderful personality, regional accent and talent, I rushed home today to catch her 4.30pm Gold Medal fight against the top woman boxer in the world - Chinese world champion, Ren Cancan. And, praise be, Ren Couldn'tcouldn't, thanks to her British opponent's' superbly-controlled, razor-sharp, intelligent performance (you can catch the last round, delightful post-match interview and medal ceremony here).

I mean, was Nicola Adams created by scientists who'd been told to come up with a top class athlete who was even nicer and more lovable than all the other tremendously nice, lovable and talented female athletes in Team GB - and who would be absolutely guaranteed to melt a nation's heart? If so, they deserve the Nobel Prize.

I hope the whole of Leeds - in fact, the whole of Yorkshire - turns out to celebrate this British sporting heroine's achievement - the first ever Olympic Champion in Women's Boxing - to the absolute hilt.

I'n't women's boxing brilliant!


No comments:

Post a Comment