Wednesday 13 June 2012

Five of my favourite Mississippi-born musicians – maybe it’s something in the water

Recent comments from Jackson, Mississippi resident E.F. Bartiam led me to look up a list of well-known 20th Century musicians born in the state. I knew there were a lot of them – but the list is so long, the quality so ridiculously high, and there are so many personal favourites on it that even this lifelong fan of American “Roots” music was astonished. (You can read the list here.) Apart from Bo Diddley, there’s Elvis, Sam Cooke, Jimmy Reed, Jerry Lee Lewis, John Lee Hooker, Ike Turner, Robert Johnson, Sonny Boy Williamson, Howlin’ Wolf and on and on and on.

Because most of them left the state before they were successful, we can’t point – as we can to, for instance, New Orleans, Memphis, Nashville or Chicago - to a generic sound created by powerful local record labels to explain the emergence of so many brilliant musicians in one region: there is no particular “Mississippi Sound”. All that these artists had in common, seemingly, was oodles of God-given musical talent. Maybe there’s just something in the water.

Rather than go for the more obvious stars, I’ve chosen five Mississippi-born musicians whose work I grew to love as an adult.

I’ll start with Mississippi John Hurt, the whisper-voiced folk/blues singer and guitarist (b. Avalon, 1892 or thereabouts – American place names often have an intriguing resonance which has nothing whatsoever to do with what they’re actually like, but it’s hard to imagine a more beautifully romantic-sounding birthplace than “Avalon, Mississippi”). I didn’t used to be that keen on acoustic blues (it still isn’t my favourite musical form), but after a friend lent me an album of Hurt’s classic 1928 recording some 25 years ago, I hardly played anything else for the next six months. I found the swirling delicacy of his guitar playing and the intimate, human quality of his wavery voice mesmerising: he was one of those singers you just instantly know you’d have liked as a human being. Hard to pick a favourite track, but “Nobody’s Dirty Business” and “Ain’t No Tellin’” are particularly beautiful. (I can play the latter on the guitar fairly accurately, and I’ve got his “Candy Man Blues” down pat.)

John Hurt spent most of his life in utter obscurity in Mississippi, until a collector discovered one of his original 78s, “Avalon Blues”, which contains the lines “Avalon, my hometown/Always on my mind” – and found Hurt still living there in 1963. He was convinced to relocate to Washington DC, where the Library of Congress recorded him. His appearances on the coffee-house circuit led to a vogue for rediscovering forgotten Delta bluesmen. Hurt died back in Mississippi in 1966.

Charlie Feathers (b. Holly Springs, 1932) left Sun after Sam Phillips (who, weirdly, didn’t rate him) refused to release “Tongue-Tied Jill” on the grounds that it might prove offensive to the speech defects community. Feathers then cut some truly splendid roughhouse rockabilly classics for Meteor and King, but never sold that much. He spend most of the next twenty years toiling away in obscurity until the UK's 1970s’ Rockabilly Revival introduced him to a new generation of fans (including me – I saw him perform at a terrific Rainbow Theatre concert in London in 1977, on a bill with Jack Scott, Warren Smith and Buddy Knox - you can hear a selection from that very performance here). Until he died in 1998 Feathers suffered from the delusion that dark forces within the music industry had somehow cheated him out of millions of dollars. It’s a pity he didn’t live long enough to pick up the cheque that would have resulted from two of his best tracks – “That Certain Female” and the bluesy “Can’t Hardly Stand It” - being featured by Quentin Tarantino on the soundtrack of his Kill Bill movies.

Feathers was about as rough and rural as Rockabilly got – he sounded like the embodiment of razor-totin’ Dan in Carl Perkins’ “Dixie Fried”. My favourites are “One Hand Loose” (what a fabulous opening), the equally energetic “Bottle to the Baby”, and the lovely little country ballad, “Man in Love”, which was later covered – without irony – by English rocker, Nick Lowe (hear it here).

Marty Stuart (b. Philadelphia, Mississippi, 1958) started playing mandolin for bluegrass giant, Lester Flatt, at age 14, then worked with legendary blind flatpicker, Doc Watson, before becoming Johnny Cash’s lead guitarist (he was married to Cash’s daughter for five years). He released a bluegrass album in 1982, and recorded a country follow-up towards the end of the decade, but his big break came in 1990, when the hard-edged, rockabilly-ish, Hot Country single “Hillbilly Rock” made the Country Top 10 (see below - sorry about the Mullet, and I could swear my brother appears as one of the dancers, but that seems unlikely).



His bestselling – and best – album, This One’s Gonna Hurt You, came out in 1992, and blew my socks off. During a period when Country was being taken over by gutless MOR “hat” acts, Stuart represented a more traditional, Sun Records/Bakersfield Sound tradition (he’s a serious country music memorabilia collector – this stuff means something to him). His career’s been patchy, as has his material (he got caught in a self-repeating rut in the late ‘90s), but he seems to be back on track, and now has his own deliberately hokey country show on TV (which occasionally pops up on an obscure Sky channel over here). Stuart’s version of “Doing My Time” (see him performing it live with Johnny Cash below), is wonderful, and I’ve always had a soft spot for the rather lovely, poppy country ballad, “Till I Found You”.



When the founder of The Staple Singers, Roebuck “Pops” Staples (b. Winona, 1914), died, two of his daughters presented Marty Stuart with the Telecaster the Great Man had used on a recording of “The Weight” they’d done together. There comes a time in every Tele-owner’s life when you get that mesmerising reverb and tremolo-drenched Pops Staples’ sound, but you don’t quite know what to do with it – Pops applied it to Gospel music, and, especially when combined with daughter’s Mavis’s awesome voice, the effect is quasi-mystical. “I’m Coming Home”, made in 1959, at the start of the group’s recording career, strikes me as one of the greatest religious recordings ever made. It’s right up there with The Five Blind Boys of Mississippi’s glorious “Our Father” - again, what is it about Mississippi?

I’ll end with another superb voice backed by great guitar playing. Jerry Butler (b. Sunflower, 1939) was the original lead singer with The Impressions, with whom he cut the gospel-tinged classic, “For Your Precious Love”. While I’ve always known about his work with the group, I only recently became aware of the brilliant tracks he cut after going solo in the 1960s, most of which were written by erstwhile Impressions colleague, Curtis Mayfield, who I presume is playing the lovely, airy guitar parts on “Find Another Girl” and “I’m Telling You”. Butler is apparently now a prominent Cook County, Chicago politician. What a come-down!

5 comments:

  1. Lovely...and a fantastic post.

    Really the Mississippi sound is the sound of "American" popular music...rocknroll, blues, country...all have their origins in Mississippi. To some extent you can put it down to the Cotton boom of the early 20th century. People poured in from all over to work in The Delta.

    Just like many of the early blues players...Jimmy Rogers played fish fries and parties in the Delta. In fact, people that heard him before they saw him thought he was black. Charlie Patton played what we would call country music and cowboy songs...as well as teaching the blues to everybody from Robert Johnson to Muddy Waters.

    "American" music is really Southern music and there's no more Southern place on earth than Mississippi.

    Fabulous list...I'm especially happy to see Charlie Feathers on there but, I might go with his mentor...the hill country bluesman, Junior Kimbrough.

    Mississippi Fred McDowell, Hill Country player, would definitely be on my list if he hadn't actually been born in Tennessee.

    Elmore James. He's the one that took the Delta sound out of the American Studies classroom and onto the street.

    Hound Dog Taylor...the direct, blind drunk, untuned heir of James. Irresistible.

    Elvis..sue me :).

    The greatest of all..R.L. Burnside. Another hill country player. He learned from Fred McDowell. He would be on the top of any list I'd put together. If I put together a list of all Southroners he'd come in just behind Stonewall Jackson and right ahead of William Faulkner and Steve Spurrier.

    Thanks for posting this. I travel the length of Mississippi and Louisiana and this is constant theme on my own blog. I love the music. I'm in a hotel room tonight and passed through McComb to get here. The little hometown of Bo Diddley and where Brittany Spears was born. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much, e.f.bartlam, for praising R.L.Burnside. I think he is great.

    Also, for your high regard for Stonewall Jackson [one of the very greatest military commanders - "the pious, cold-blooded killer." The precise qualities required in that profession.] Although it is not my country could I also suggest Robert E. Lee, James "Old Pete" Longstreet, Jeb Stuart and Nathan Bedford Forrest.

    A few years ago I embarked on Shelby Foote's "The Civil War; A Narrative". 3-Vols and 3000 pages. At the time I said to myself I'll never finish this. 3-months later I was sorry to come to the final page [this from a person who started "The Old Curiosity Shop" in 1990 and is currently on pp 275]. Shelby Foote should also be cited as a "great Southerner".

    Big question. Why are civil wars always such vicious, barbaric affairs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Longstreet and Foote (another Mississippian) are a little problematic...but the rest of the list is untouchable. I am especially fond of Forest.

      Of course Lee is Lee and Jeff Davis has to go on the list...and Bear Bryant. :)

      Delete
  3. Me too when it comes to R.L. Burnside (I was delighted to hear one of his tracks featured on The Sopranos a few years back). The great Fred McDowell only failed to make the list due to his birthplace. Junior Kimbrough I will check out - and will listen to some more Hound Dog Taylor - Wikipedia claims he had six fingers on one hand? - i only have " Ain't Got Nobody". Elmore James I knew all about growing up in London in the 1960s: I suspect that opening riff was played more than any other by young English R&B bands. I don't know if she's rated in her home state, but Bobbie Gentry was big over here - even had her own BBC TV series! For a while back then, her smoky voice on "Okolona River Bottom Band" was the Sound of Mississippi as far as I was concerned. (By the way, it took me at least ten second to figure out you weren't talking about the great country singer, Stonewall Jackson - but the penny dropped when I saw the next two names).

    I shall be visiting your blogs regularly from now on - fascinating - and I hope to balance the comments you get from British lefties! I gave a silent cheer when I read about you replacing the Stars & Stripes on Confederate war graves - what were they thinking? My attitude to taxes - and a whole lot more - chime with yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely find Kimbrough and the whole Hill Country scene...the documentary You See Me Laughin' is a great introduction. Asie Payton has some spots in the film. He was knockout and barely recorded before he died.

      Bobby Gentry is well loved. How could she not be with that voice? I was in Greenwood last week.

      I'll be lookin' forward to seeing you then. I enjoy the debate and having differing views around...I try to keep it open over there. That was crazy though. You know most of 'em work for the state.

      I have no idea what these flag planters are thinking . How rock hard in the head do you have to be?

      Thanks for the interest and thanks for this blog. Good stuff.

      Delete