Tuesday 29 November 2016

Congratulations, Sir Roger Scruton - knighted by the Prince of Wales at Buckingham Palace last Friday

I expressed my utter delight at the news...

...that my old university supervisor (tutor, if your prefer) was to receive a knighthood back in June, when it was first announced. I know I risk being awarded the Order of the Brown Nose, but it feels as though one of the country's most distinguished public intellectuals - and undoubtedly its leading philosopher - has at last been rewarded for his quiet, reasoned, civilised battle against the cant, humbug and sheer nonsense purveyed by Britain's left-wing academic "elite".  Given the appalling vindictiveness of the attacks the great man has suffered for almost five decades because of his conservative views, a proper gong is the least he deserves.

As I said back in June, a good deed in a naughty world.

No comments:

Post a Comment