Thursday 19 May 2011

"Comoin' Home Baby", "Long Shot" and three other dynamite tracks from The Fulminators

Following on from last post, here’s some more musical silliness, I’m afraid. I haven’t done any recording for the past couple of months and I know how frightfully upset many of you will be about that. So, in order to clear the decks before I get stuck in again, here are a few productions I haven’t previously made available to the clamouring public.

The first, “Spacey”, is my favourite. If I still visited the gym, I could imagine exercising to what sounds (to me at least) a bit like a 1980s dance track. I like the bongos and the guitar sound (played on my M-Audio KeyStudio Midi Controller) at the end.

                          
“Jaunty” is pretty standard I-IV-V fare, but I like the various electric guitar parts (all played on my Telecaster apart from the chiming one that comes in at 1’48”) and the sloppy drum sound. The quietly honking, staccato sax isn’t bad either.


“Sand Up the Wazoo” isn’t bad – sounds like a filler track on the only LP released by a California group with a name along the lines of The Surf Twisters or The Beach Riders circa 1962 between High School and College. The realistic drum sound you can create using the most basic electronic equipment these days is extraordinary – I can’t get over it!          


A couple of covers to finish. “Comin’ Home Baby” is an instrumental version of Mel Tormé’s 1962 hit – one of the coolest records ever made. Ride cymbal’s a bit insistent, and the horns need to be more prominent, but overall, not bad.


Finally, a poppy instrumental version of the Pioneers’ sublime reggae hit, “Long Shot Kick De Bucket” – the overall sound’s a bit weedy, but the dub horns work well.  


And now that’s out of the way, I can get started on something new.


2 comments:

  1. You've kept me up late. I thought "Wazoo" and"Jaunty" were great, as if Dick Dale and the Deltones had suddenly been brought out of retirement and let loose in Spectorland. I love that 60's guitar sound. When my brother and I want to warm up before playing other stuff, we end up running through great twangy guitar tunes from that era. Walk Don"t Run, FBI, Frightened City, Perfidia....

    What also comes through really strongly is the fun you had doing it. More please.
    Friday, May 20, 2011 - 12:45 AM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comments, Ex-KCS – you’ve made me very happy! To be told I manage to sound like Dick Dale is possibly the highest praise I could receive! (I mean it). Much appreciated.
    Friday, May 20, 2011 - 04:29 PM

    ReplyDelete